General Information About Esophageal Cancer
- Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the esophagus.
- Smoking, heavy alcohol use, and Barrett esophagus can increase the risk of esophageal cancer.
- Signs and symptoms of esophageal cancer are weight loss and painful or difficult swallowing.
- Tests that examine the esophagus are used to detect (find) and diagnose esophageal cancer.
- Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options.
Read the full article on the National Cancer Institute website.