Source: The website of the National Cancer Institute
A term for diseases in which abnormal cells divide without control and can invade nearby tissues. Cancer cells can also spread to other parts of the body through the blood and lymph systems.
There are several main types of cancer. Carcinoma is a cancer that begins in the skin or in tissues that line or cover internal organs.
Sarcoma is a cancer that begins in bone, cartilage, fat, muscle, blood vessels, or other connective or supportive tissue.
Leukemia is a cancer that begins in blood-forming tissue, such as the bone marrow, and causes too many abnormal blood cells to be made.
Lymphoma and multiple myeloma are cancers that begin in the cells of the immune system.
Central nervous system cancers are cancers that begin in the tissues of the brain and spinal cord. Also called malignancy.
For up-to-date information on cancer please visit the National Cancer Institute
Cancer Stem Cells and Senescent Cancer Cells
The major causes of cancer deaths.
Post-treatment relapse and distant metastasis are major causes of mortality by solid tumors. There is extensive preclinical evidence in animal models that nearly all types of cancer treatments, from surgery to chemotherapy and targeted therapy, can stimulate tumor spread. – study.
Around 90% of cancer deaths are as a result of metastasis (cancer spreading to other organs). The suspected cause of most – if not all – metastases is Cancer Stem Cells.
What are Cancer Stem Cells?
This type of stem cell represents a small proportion of the types of cell found in a tumour, and can replicate tumour cells, causing tumours to grow and spread. Cancer stem cells are considered resistant to drug and radiotherapy treatments, and therefore can be left behind after the course of cancer treatment comes to an end, allowing the tumour to regrow and spread around the body.
Source: Cardiff University
The Stem Cell Theory of Cancer
… many new anti-cancer therapies are evaluated based on their ability to shrink tumors, but if the therapies are not killing the cancer stem cells, the tumor will soon grow back (often with a vexing resistance to the previously used therapy). An analogy would be a weeding technique that is evaluated based on how low it can chop the weed stalks—but no matter how low the weeks are cut, if the roots aren’t taken out, the weeds will just grow back.
Source: Stanford Medicine
Food and Cancer Stem Cells
This scientific review says natural products, including those found in common foodstuffs have demonstrated the ability to modulate pathways responsible for Cancer Stem Cells function and inhibition.
Another contributor to cancer mortality is Senescent Cancer Cells
Senescent cancer cells
Senescence is the process by which cells irreversibly stop dividing and enter a state of permanent growth arrest without undergoing cell death.
According to this 2020 Review in Trends in Cancer, a significant number of commonly used cancer interventions have been associated with the induction of cellular senescence in either tumor or non-tumor cells and tissues.
Therapy-induced senescence can cause cancer metastasis and relapse and several adverse reactions to cancer treatments.
Cell division is important for normal growth and repair. Senescent cells, sometimes called ‘zombie cells’, lose that capacity and enter an enduring growth arrest. While senescence can prevent tumour growth (cancer is characterised by unchecked cell proliferation), in the last few years the presence of senescent cells after cancer therapies has also been associated with relapse. – source
Senescent tumor cells … establish a shield surrounding the cancer cells and build a supportive tumor microenvironment. Therefore, eliminating senescent tumor cells…is proposed as a new strategy for inhibiting cancer progression through blocking the adverse effects of senescent tumor cells and enhancing the efficacy of cancer immunotherapy. – source
This study, published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute puts it this way: Treatment-induced Senescence in tumor cells induces several features that may be beneficial to the treatment of cancer. Importantly, senescence stimulates a persistent terminal growth arrest…
This study concluded: Overall, cancer cell senescence is a Jekyll and Hyde phenomenon with both beneficial and detrimental implications. Despite a primary and immediate tumor-suppressive role against cancer development, the long-term consequences of senescent cancer cells are potentially deleterious.
- Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.
- Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person’s lifetime.
- When the person’s immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors. To strengthen the Immune system it is necessary to detoxify the body from fungi caused from too many antibiotics in our medical therapies and in our foods), parasites, and heavy metals. Something as simple as cilanto and selenium, found in garlic, can help to eliminate heavy metals. Herbs such as gentian violet, dandelion root and pokeweed or wild oregano oil kill parasites and fungi.
- When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and lifestyle factors.
- To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and including supplements will strengthen the immune system.
- Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastro-intestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.
- Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.
- Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.
- When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.
- Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.
- An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.
CANCER CELLS FEED ON:
- Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off sugar it cuts off one important food supply to the cancer cells. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses but only in very small amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in colour. Better alternative is Bragg’s aminos or sea salt, or Himalayan salt.
- Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and substituting with unsweetened rice milk cancer cells are being starved.
- Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken rather than beef or pork. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.
- A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes to nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells. To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice, including carrot juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of104 degrees F (40 degrees C).
- Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine. Green tea is a better alternative and has cancer-fighting properties. Water: best to drink purified water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.
- Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines become putrefied and leads to more toxic buildup.
- Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body’s killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.
- Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-essence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the body’s own killer cells to destroy cancer cells. Other supplements like vitamin E succinate are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body’s normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.
- Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor. Anger, unforgiveness and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy life.
- Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.
Immune cells working together to defeat cancer cells.